> Loving This Show!
O-jo Moonshade
post May 3 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Group: Sidster
Member No.: 1,118

Okay it's official!! And do please excuse me while I squee.

I'm trying to remember exactly why I didn't get into this Primeval series when it first came out, because... Walking with Dinosaurs does sci-fi!! Seriously. That's almost like having extra sugar on your honey-puffs -- it's just that sweet. Might have been too busy. Might've been a little confuse. Or might've just not gotten into it. idunno.

'Cos y'know -- Dinosaurs -- they're always super-awesome huh. I don't know what it is that kids find so appealing about extinct animals, do you? One of my first soft toys was a stuffed blue dinosaur called Steggie, who is now in storage somewhere in Hobart. (Word to the wise: Steggie is not a T-rex.) But it's amazingly wonderful what CG did and especially the Walking With series-es (I think I got them all either on DVD or video) It's like... in the '80s these animals were all either in books or fossils or weird animatronics in theme parks that waggled their heads a bit and then went rawr. (Remember that? Just making them look believable is a great achievement in itself.)

And I'm probably so far behind everyone else because DVDs are all I can watch at home... But I got a series of Primeval on DVD just to see what it was like, and thought "Well if I like it then I'll get another one later." and....

Oh

My

GOD!!!!

This show is awesome! And I am so looking forward to getting the third series in the mail and all that, and so especially looking forward to when the one after that finally comes out on DVD because, well, it hasn't yet -- not here, anyway. I'm very deliberately not looking into any other threads just yet because really, really, really don't want spoilers. But wow. Can't wait for more.

Oh yeah. Agree or disagree as you like. Favourite stuff that has been on so far (ie. first two series-es) = Sabretooth. What would be seriously cool but has not been on as far as I know = Allosaurs, Gastornis (big evil-lookin' bird thing) or 10-foot kangaroos. Favourite characters so far = Connor and Rex. But like I said, only seen about 13 eps. so far. Man. ok I shut up now.

--------------------
Transmitte Me Sursum Caledoni
I'm not stupid, I'm resting my brain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charmedgirl
post May 4 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Lecturer
Group Icon

Member No.: 525

Oh yeah. Agree or disagree as you like. Favourite stuff that has been on so far (ie. first two series-es) = Sabretooth. What would be seriously cool but has not been on as far as I know = Allosaurs, Gastornis (big evil-lookin' bird thing) or 10-foot kangaroos. Favourite characters so far = Connor and Rex. But like I said, only seen about 13 eps. so far. Man. ok I shut up now.
[/quote]

I have an idea. How about a Cro-Magnon boy following his prey into a busy mall

--------------------
"Your name, mister, mister.."
"Bashir, Julian Bashir"

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 4 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #3

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,123

I totally agree with you! I am such a Primeval addict! Even before they added Phil (of course the fact that Phil was going to be on was why I started watching!). Wait til you see Phil! I find him both hilarious and creepy at the same time. Although I wish they would change his hairstyle, I'm not too fond of it. But it does suit his pompous personality secret.gif Don't tell Sid, lol. jk.

--------------------
Meghan
Wilson: Who's Harvey?
Miss Kelly: A white rabbit, six feet tall.
Wilson: Six feet?
Elwood P. Dowd: Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts.

Blog: http://meghanheasley.blogspot.com/
Professional webpage Corrected url
https://sites.google.com/site/meghanheasley/

+Quote Post
O-jo Moonshade
post May 7 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Radio Operator
Group Icon

QUOTE (charmedgirl @ May 5 2011, 01:28 AM) *
I have an idea. How about a Cro-Magnon boy following his prey into a busy mall

Awesome. That one I can actually see things happening around. For starters there would probably be a group of them, and the prey would stir up quite a bit of trouble because it's most likely a wild horse, antelope, deer, or some variety of megafauna!! And the main difference between us and Cro-Magnon are cultural so they would also have a fully fledged language and spiritual philosophy.

And their knowledge of their environment was phenomenal so any sudden changes and they'd be asking themselves "What the Fraggle?" or whatever the equivalent in Cro-Magnon tongue. Although also if it was a Neandertal instead, evidence is that they were also super-smart, physically strong and tough, but very much set in their ways. So they'd be "What the Fraggle?" times a zillion.

And in either case, a caveman's best defence is attack.

I saw stills in the last few SFX magazines (which are getting so hard to find by the way the only place that carries them is a six foot square newsagents on Princes Street!) So I've seen Phil's hair. It'll be fun to see what he's like being a more shadowy, slimy character.

Turns out there were some Gastornis (methinks) in the third season so they were like those really beak-heavy loopy things that looked like cassowaries on steroids. Gotta admit the third series was also sweet although it had a few belief-suspension tricksy moments (Write out a hundred times: I will not nitpick about Medieval knights speaking modern English. I will not ni.... Sorry. *goes to stand in the corner*) Looking forward to the fourth. Maybe if they put some Hobbits in an episode it would get to New Zealand faster. hmmm....

--------------------

+Quote Post
charmedgirl
post May 7 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Lecturer
Group Icon

I figured the storyline is that killing the prey is the boy's rite of passage into adulthood and that if the team knocks out the prey themselves, they would be robbing the boy of that rite. But the team had to do it to protect the shoppers in the mall. (better yet-have this take place during the holiday shopping season)

--------------------
"Bashir, Julian Bashir"

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 8 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #6

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Listen to you two, you should work for the show! 2thumbs.gif

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post
charmedgirl
post May 8 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Lecturer
Group Icon

QUOTE (mheasley @ May 7 2011, 10:07 PM) *

Oh I would love that! A chance to meet Sid! blush.gif

--------------------
"Bashir, Julian Bashir"

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 8 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Radio Operator
Group Icon

How did I know you would say that? They had a contest on FB to win tickets to the screening they were having this weekend of the episode 1 of Series 5. Only problem was, you had to be a U.K. resident. crying.gif

I hate to say it (shudder) but I have a feeling our buddy Phil is going to bite the dust sometime this season sad.gif Either by his own actions or someone trying to prevent them. Ah well, if it happens, it can be another notch it Sid's belt, lol.

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post
charmedgirl
post May 8 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #9

Lecturer
Group Icon

I hate to say it (shudder) but I have a feeling our buddy Phil is going to bite the dust sometime this season sad.gif Either by his own actions or someone trying to prevent them. Ah well, if it happens, it can be another notch it Sid's belt, lol.
[/quote]

No! Please say it isn't so! He's had so many of his characters 'killed off'-It's heartbreaking!

--------------------
"Bashir, Julian Bashir"

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 8 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Radio Operator
Group Icon

I have no proof, I'm just using logic. He's bad devil2.gif And what happens to bad guys? I know, it kills me too:-) It seems like a lot of roles end that way, but it's only like 60% (I was bored one day and figured it out). And I heart.gif Phil. He cracks me up and creeps me out at the same time (?) Lester is always getting the better of him, lol, but he's still BAD. wub.gif

This post has been edited by mheasley: May 8 2011, 07:15 PM

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 9 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #11

Radio Operator
Group Icon

QUOTE (mheasley @ May 8 2011, 08:13 PM) *
I have no proof, I'm just using logic. He's bad devil2.gif And what happens to bad guys? I know, it kills me too:-) It seems like a lot of roles end that way, but it's only like 60% (I was bored one day and figured it out). And I heart.gif Phil. He cracks me up and creeps me out at the same time (?) Lester is always getting the better of him, lol, but he's still BAD. wub.gif

Oh, looked at my list again, it's only 11 out of 24, that is if the one TV show I haven't seen he makes it out alive (lol). So that's less than 50%. That's pretty good odds. wink.gif

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post
TOC
post May 9 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #12

Saracen
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 9

I have a feeling our buddy Phil is going to bite the dust sometime this season

Better that than having Phil kill Connor. I almost made it an editorial in the newsletter:

Hey, Sid!
I know you killed tens of thousands Romans, tried to kill a child emperor, tried to starve a village to death in order to feed your men -- nobody's perfect. You kill Connor, you're going to be in BIG TROUBLE!

Carol

--------------------
"IN A WORLD FULL OF WONDERS, HUMANS INVENTED BOREDOM. AMAZING!" Death observes in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

+Quote Post
charmedgirl
post May 9 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Lecturer
Group Icon

QUOTE (TOC @ May 9 2011, 01:15 PM) *

Better that than having Phil kill Connor. I almost made it an editorial in the newsletter:

Hey, Sid!
I know you killed tens of thousands Romans, tried to kill a child emperor, tried to starve a village to death in order to feed your men -- nobody's perfect. You kill Connor, you're going to be in BIG TROUBLE!

Carol

Let's not forget that Conner nearly killed Phil with that lockdown incident!

--------------------
"Bashir, Julian Bashir"

+Quote Post
mheasley
post May 9 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #14

Radio Operator
Group Icon

QUOTE (TOC @ May 9 2011, 06:15 PM) *

Hey, Sid!

Carol

ROFL, Carol. I don't think they'll kill off Connor unless he wants out. Phil on the other hand. . .

And what you said is how I felt when I thought Phil was going to kill Rex (not that I don't like Connor, but I have a soft spot for animals.) I thought we were going to have to sic on of those dinosaurs on Phil! wink.gif

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post
TOC
post May 9 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #15

Saracen
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 9

Let's not forget that Conner nearly killed Phil with that lockdown incident!

Connor was just running a scan as Phil told him to do. He didn't know anything about the lock down "enhancements" that had been added to his program. Phil brought that near-death experience upon himself. As Phil said, only Connor could have saved him.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Phil won't let gratitude get in the way if he thinks Connor is going to try to stop his grand scheme. Whatever that is.

Carol

--------------------
"IN A WORLD FULL OF WONDERS, HUMANS INVENTED BOREDOM. AMAZING!" Death observes in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

+Quote Post
O-jo Moonshade
post May 14 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #16

Radio Operator
Group Icon

QUOTE (TOC @ May 10 2011, 05:15 AM) *

Hey, Sid!

Carol

AMEN!
hehe

Oh no are we getting into spoiler territory?? uh oh. *Hands on ears. (or eyes) La la la la...*

And anyone kills either of those cute little di-ictodon (ican'tspell) thingies they are going to have the wrath of every curse in this multiverse come down upon them!!! grrr.

--------------------

+Quote Post
O-jo Moonshade
post May 14 2011, 03:35 AM
Post #17

Radio Operator
Group Icon

QUOTE (charmedgirl @ May 9 2011, 01:27 AM) *
QUOTE (mheasley @ May 7 2011, 10:07 PM) *

Oh I would love that! A chance to meet Sid! blush.gif

Chance to meet each other too that'd be cool.

Okay, since we turned to the whacky speculative fanfic thing, and it's fun, I'm gonna see what we can fit together to make an awesome caveman story:

So we got a team of, say, four Cro-Magnon men, and one is a young man or adolescent on his first hunt. I'm thinking one man on his own probably wouldn't bring down anything much bigger than a rabbit and that's not much of a rite of passage. They're busy stalking a big deer or something and manage to drive it into the trees -- and the young guy is set to make the kill-strike because that's important.

And just as they're stalking up on it, they got it backed into a corner and think that they're just about ready to bring it down, there suddenly appears a big crystally sparkly thing in between the trees, and the prey backs through it. At first the hunters are all confounded and "What??!" but the youngest of them is so annoyed about his prey escaping (and maybe he's heard shaman stories about such things) and he is perhaps a little too impulsive for his own good -- so he steps through.

I reckon Phil's gonna die. (And the fourth season discs haven't even gotten here yet!) Just thinking from the kind of stuff that happens to other shady characters at earlier times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
O-jo Moonshade
post Jul 16 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #18

Radio Operator
Group Icon

How's this for frustrating: Season Four is finally here on DVD, but it costs $122 dollars!! Yikes. 'Scuse I for being all crazy-weird.

give_rose.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TaBet
post Jul 16 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #19

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,127

Waoo, what a price, frustrating indeed shock.gif
Especially because you could order it at less than half the price at amazon UK - but for the regional codes, grrrr.

+Quote Post
mheasley
post Jul 17 2011, 04:27 AM
Post #20

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Wow, that is a lot. It's only like $30 or so around here for each season.

--------------------
Meghan

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 08:29 AM